2019 Parity Certification
Start now by completing our short pre-qualification questionnaire to find out if you qualify to participate in our gender Parity Certification:
SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION TODAY!
Submissions deadline: May 31, 2019
31 Parity certified organizations in 2018
What is the Parity Certification?
Women in Governance’s Parity Certification serves to help Canadian organizations increase the representation of women in sectors where they have historically been underrepresented, as well as in senior management positions. This innovative certification not only evaluates parity at the decision-making level of organizations, but also assesses the organization’s commitment to the implementation of mechanisms that enable women at all levels of its hierarchy to achieve career advancement, thus creating a pipeline of female talent.
The Parity Certification Committee thoroughly researched trends across sectors when developing the certification criteria, which allows the certification to be applicable to all businesses with more than 400 employees. Furthermore, the questionnaire was built with the support of McKinsey&Company in collaboration with human resources senior management representatives and Quebec’s Order of Certified Human Resources Professionals (CRHA).
This timely and relevant initiative received outstanding feedback and presents a unique opportunity for organizations that are striving to integrate equity into their human resources strategy and have their actions recognized and validated by an independent third party.
In 2017, this certification was available to organizations in Quebec with over 400 employees. In 2018, the scope of the certification has been expanded, and all Canadian organizations with over 400 employees are now eligible to participate regardless of the location of their headquarters or board of directors. With 31 certified organizations, this initiative has an impact on 258,127 employees across Canada; they will benefit from the best practices established by their employers to enable women to progress without glass ceilings or sticky floors.
Our 4 certification levels
The implementation of a Parity Certification:
- Raises organizations’ awareness about the importance of gender equality and how it provides a broader range of talent and improves business agility.
- Puts the spotlight on the positive impact of diversity, including the presence of women in decision-making bodies, financial performance, branding and corporate culture.
- Encourages women to develop their leadership skills, further their career and aspire to become board members.
- Includes men of all levels in the journey so that they also feel invested rather than simply bystanders.
The Parity Certification evaluates:
Governance & Vision (Strategy) – To be certified on this dimension, an organization must demonstrate that, through their policies and practices, their strategic direction and key decision-making is inclusive of a progressively equitable representation of women to men. Also, the organization must demonstrate their commitment to achieving parity by setting clear objectives. Finally, it must demonstrate the intention to sustain parity through policies and practices that are building a pipeline of female talent.
Collective Enablers (Actions) – To be certified on this dimension, an organization must demonstrate that its practices, programs and actions are geared to facilitating the progress towards equitable representation of women at all levels, until parity is achieved and sustained.
Equity (Results) – To be certified on this dimension, an organization must demonstrate that the outcome of its strategy and actions in the area of gender equality results in progression towards equity or parity in the distribution of women to men in the hierarchy of the organization, promotion and hiring and that women at the same level are on average earning a salary equitable to men.
Want to know more? Take a look at our “Parity in our organizations: What measures translate into meaningful results?” Webinar:
Pricing for certification application in a single province is $3,000, while the application for a national certification is $5,000. Three year subscriptions are also available for $10,000 (national certification) and $6,000 (provincial certification).
These fees cover the following:
- Access to the questionnaire
- Evaluation of the questionnaire to determine whether you are eligible for bronze, silver, gold or platinum certification. Note: Participation in the questionnaire does not guarantee that you will be eligible for certification. However, you will have access to all services included in the fees.
- A personalized report on your status that allows you to compare your position to that of your industry, other participating organizations and your position relative to other levels of certification.
- Participation in an HR forum in order to share best practices.
Please note the following important elements:
- The period to submit your application for certification is from January 7, 2019 to May 31, 2019 at 5:00pm EDT. After this time, the system will be closed and no further changes can be made to a submission.
- The evaluation period for all bids starts June 1, 2019 and participating organizations will be notified of their status by the end of August.
- As of September 2019, organizations may display their banners and an electronic signature announcing their certification.
- The next Annual Recognition Gala will take place on September 25, 2019 at Montreal’s Palais des Congrès.
We hope your organization will be among those certified in 2019!
For more information about the Parity Certification,
please send an email to:
For more information about the gala (tickets, tables or sponsorships),
please contact us at: